Works on engineering projects containing critical problems, the solution of which requires major technological advances and extensive related development
- The Aircraft Performance group is responsible for all aspects of aircraft performance for the current fleet and new product development.
Other skills needed:
- Thorough understanding of fixed wing aerodynamics, propulsion, and performance.
- Solid understanding of airplane flight characteristics, first-principles analyses, and performance methods.
- Experience with transport category airplane certification projects (Part 25).
- Previous FAA Flight Analyst DER/AR highly desired, or qualified candidate for DER/AR.
- Fortran and MATLAB experience highly desired.
- UNIX/Linux experience a plus.
Other responsibilities include:
- Use computer based tools to analyze airplane performance in all phases of flight including takeoff, climb, descent, approach and landing, as well as overall mission analysis.
- Analyze flight test data in support of airplane performance database development.
- Prepare, review, and approve performance data for airplane flight manuals, operations manuals, and avionics software.
- Prepare, review, and approve certification compliance reports.
- Develop and review certification plans and compliance checklists.
- Review flight test plans for certification projects.
- Coordinate with aviation authorities (FAA, EASA, others) regarding compliance with performance regulations.
- Develop and review applicant positions for Issue Papers and CRIs.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to younger engineers.
- Respond to inquiries from customers/operators relating to published performance data.
- Support new product development programs and fleet sustaining issues.
- Prepare performance data for new models, and derivatives of current models.
- Maintain current legacy computer analysis programs, and support development of modified and new software tools and methods.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering or related curriculum applicable to the respective job position required or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- 13 yrs specific technical discipline or 15 yrs broad eng experience in several technical disciplines with Bachelors.
- Experience credit considered for related adv degrees limited to 2 yrs for Masters and 4 yrs for PhD in fields applicable to this job.
- Responsible for an entire engineering project of major complexity within established scope.
- Makes technical decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities.
- Applies advanced technical principles, theories and concepts based on broad expertise or unique specialized knowledge.
- Leads the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Acts independently to determine improved methods and/or procedures to optimize technical product, cost and schedule requirements.
- works under consultative direction; uses independent judgment to accomplish objectives.
- Develops standards and guides for diverse engineering activities.
- Conceives and plans investigation of broad areas of importance for which engineering precedents are lacking in areas critical to the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree in engineering or related curriculum preferred
- The level of technical skill and abilities appropriate for this grade will be established by each discipline.