Guides successful completion of major engineering programs, or conceives research in areas of considerable scope and complexity supporting the development and production of employer products and services.
The Aircraft Performance group is responsible for all aspects of aircraft performance for the current fleet and new product development.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering or technical related curriculum applicable to the respective job position required or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- 10 yrs in specific technical discipline or 15 yrs broad eng experience in several technical disciplines with Bachelors.
- Experience credit considered for related adv degrees limited to 2 yrs for Masters and 4 yrs for PhD in fields applicable to this job.
Other skills needed:
- Thorough understanding of fixed wing aerodynamics, propulsion, and performance.
- Solid understanding of airplane flight characteristics, first-principles analyses, and performance methods.
- Experience with transport category airplane certification projects (Part 25) required.
- Experience as FAA Flight Analyst DER/AR desired.
- Fortran and MATLAB experience highly desired.
- UNIX/Linux experience a plus.
Other responsibilities include:
- Use computer based tools to analyze airplane performance in specific phases of flight including takeoff, climb, descent, approach and landing, as well as overall mission analysis.
- Analyze flight test data in support of airplane performance database development.
- Prepare performance data for airplane flight manuals, operations manuals, and avionics software.
- Coordinate with aviation authorities (FAA, EASA, others) regarding compliance with performance regulations.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to younger engineers.
- Respond to inquiries from customers/operators relating to published performance data.
- Support new product development programs and fleet sustaining issues.
- Prepare performance data for new models, and derivatives of current models.
- Maintain current legacy computer analysis programs, and support development of modified and new software tools and methods.
- Selects appropriate methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to resolve complex engineering issues .
- Is consulted extensively by associates and others as a recognized authority within the field .
- Anticipates and resolves complex issues in creative and effective ways, developing standards and guides for diverse engineering activities .
- Approach to problem solving balances technical product, cost and schedule .
- Works without appreciable direction; work is reviewed from a long-range perspective for desired results .
- Exercises latitude in determining technical objectives of assignments, and makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative .
- Maintains a current knowledge of developments in the field of specialty and/or other related aircraft fields in order to recommend innovations to improve quality and effectiveness of company product .
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree in engineering, or related curriculum preferred
- The level of technical skill and abilities appropriate for this grade will be established by each discipline